Being able to drive legally is one of the most important aspects of being an adult. You must be wondering how to get a driver’s license if you can’t wait to take your automobile out for that first satisfying solo drive.
You must first obtain a learner’s license before obtaining your driver’s license. After you obtain it, you must wait 30 days before applying for a driving license.
Let’s look at how to apply for a driving license in India.
Different Types of Driving Licence in India:
In India, there are many categories of Indian driving licenses. Different types of licenses are required for different vehicles. Additionally, different licenses are required for the business and personal usage of cars. Depending on the vehicle you want to drive, you can acquire one of the following licenses:
- MC 50CC: Motorcycles with a displacement of up to 50cc
- MCWOG / FVG: Gearless motorcycles
- MC EX50CC: Geared bikes with a displacement of more than 50cc and light vehicles
- MC With Gear or M / CYCL. WG: All types of motorcycles with or without gears
- LMVNT: Light motor vehicles for purposes other than transport
- LMVTR: Light motor vehicles for commercial purposes
- HMV: Heavy motor vehicles
- HPMV: Heavy passenger motor vehicles
- HTV: Transportation of heavy-duty vehicles (including trucks and passenger vehicles)
- You have a driver’s license for a heavy vehicle, you can apply for a heavy-duty towing license.
Also Read: How To Check Your Mutual Fund Performance
Driving License Eligibility Criteria in India:
To apply for a driver license in India, the following conditions must be met:
- They must be 16 years old to operate two-wheelers with engines less than 50cc legally.
- To lawfully operate a two-wheeler with an engine larger than 50cc or a four-wheeler, you must be at least 18 years old.
- To lawfully operate commercial cars, you must be at least 20 years old.
- You should know all the traffic regulations.
- Before applying for a permanent driver’s license, they must have a learner’s driver’s license for at least 30 days and a maximum of 180 days.
Documents Required for Obtaining Driving Licence in India:
When applying for a driver’s license, the following is a list of documents that you must submit:
- House agreement.
- LIC policy bond.
- Voters ID card, Aadhar Card, Ration Card.
- Electricity bill issued in applicant name.
- Temporary address proof (registered lease contract and LPG bill/electricity bill).
- Birth certificate.
- Pan card, Passport.
- Transfer certificate of school with the date of birth printed on it.
- SSC certificate.
Other document requirements to obtain a driver’s license:
- Three passport size photographs while applying for a learner’s license.
- Three passport size photographs while applying for a permanent driving license.
- Application fees.
- Duly filled application form.
- For applicants over 40 years of age, a medical certificate must be required.
How to Apply for a Driving License in India?
Knowing the steps involved in apply for DL in India becomes easy as you can get the driving online and offline too. Following is the process of driving license:
How to apply for driving license offline in India?
Below are the steps for applying for a driving license offline in India: –
- Step 1: To apply driving license online, a candidate must first download and fill out the form, then sent it to the local RTO.
- Step 2: Fill in the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 3: Submit address proof, age proof, and passport-size photos.
- Step 4: You will get an appointment for the first round of the test to test your knowledge of traffic rules.
- Step 5: After passing the test, a learner’s license will be issued. One is required to apply for a permanent driving license after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days.
How to apply for driving license online in India?
The procedures mentioned here will show you the steps for applying for an online driving license in India:-
Step 1: Open MoRTH official website
Register on the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) official website.
Step 2: Fill out the application form
Carefully fill out the application form and correctly and generate the application number.
Step 3: Click the “Submit” button
After completion, click the “Submit” button, and a pop-up window will appear stating, “Your request has been successfully saved.”
Step 4: Write the application number
Register the application number before submitting the form.
Step 5: DL test schedule
After sending a request form, you must select a slot that receives an RTO operation test. Click on “DL test schedule.”
Step 6: Click on Slot Reserve DL to select the date
Click on Slot Reserve DL to select the priority date of the operation test. To select dates and schedules, you must enter application numbers and DOB.
Step 7: Inform the RTO of the correct date and time
Once selected, you must inform the RTO of the correct date and time.
Drivers Licence Related Application Form:
In addition to the driver’s license application form, some other forms are related to obtaining a driver’s license in India. The following are some forms related to the driver’s license application form:
1. Application Form for Licence to Drive a Motor Vehicle or (Form 4)
- Vehicle Classification.
- Information for the application.
- Whether or whether the candidate has previously held a DL.
- The applicant has already held a DL.
- The applicant is ineligible to get a driver’s license.
- The applicant has already been given a driving test.
2. Form for Obtaining or Renewing a Learner’s Permit (Form 2)
3. Form For Application For Renewal Of Driving Licence (Form 9)
4. Application For Duplicate Driving Licence (Form L.L.D)
5. Application Cum Declaration Form of Physical Fitness (Form 1)
6. Medical Certificate (Form 1A)
7. Application for Addition Of New Class Of Vehicle To Driving Licence (Form 8)
8. Application Form For Intimation of Temporary/Permanent/Change of Address For Authorized Licence Holder (Form LCA)
Documents needed to apply for a duplicate driver’s license include:
The following papers must be presented to the RTO when applying for a duplicate driver’s license:
- Application form LLD
- If the driver’s license is lost, a copy of the police report will be requested.
- In the instance of a commercial driver’s license, the traffic police issued a challan clearance report.
- Form 1
- Copy of Age and address proof documents.
- Copy of Original license
- License number if the license is stolen
- A gazetted officer or notary public is necessary to authenticate the photocopied documents.
The validity of a Learner’s Licence is six months from the date of issue. If you are applying for a Learner’s License, you must provide a medical certificate with your application. If a person fails the driving test, he gets seven days to retake it. Within five years of its expiration date, it is possible to renew it; nevertheless, driving with an expired license is unlawful.